Thursday, January 8, 2009

28 days later of Police Academy

28 Days later (2003)
I was introducing a friend to the whole zombie horror movie genre, and decided to watch 28 days later. Some could argue that the infected aren't true "zombies", but I think we could believe that the genre might allow for some creative differences.

When I first saw this movie I nearly had a heart attack. Fast moving zombies!? I have seen a lot of zombie movies, but I couldn't recall any that had the horde running so fast and furiously.
After watching it again 6 years later, I noticed that the number of actual zombies portrayed in the film were sparse. There were only really a few big groups that consisted of up to 6 zombies, which was pretty weak in comparison that most movies have (think dozens or hundreds!). I think they make up for it with the character development and interaction. The characters have to live in a surreal world, and not many of us have had to deal with that in our lives.

I still like this movie, the zombies are gross and exciting to watch. The many scenes throughout England were well done and provide a great contrast between the urban and rural spaces.
The secondary plot at the end was also a good look at the darkness that can exist when civilization is non-existent. It shows that there are still worse things in this world than zombies.

However, these types of movies always make me want to run out and buy a gun and enough military rations for a year. Maybe five years just to be on the safe side.

Bottom Line: If you like blood, foreign accents, and zombies, I would recommend this movie.

Police Academy (1984)
So after my zombie movie, I decided to watch an old childhood comedy that I haven't seen in 15 to 20 years. It's a slapstick comedy about a group of new police recruits who are seen as less than desirable, and the antics and chaos they get into. It still made me chuckle, and I have to admit there were a few scenes I didn't quite get as a kid (think podium prank), but now as an adult I get all too well.

The movie is chalked full of character actors, and you can definitely laugh at how ridiculous they all are, but it's in a good way. There is the evil Lt. Harris who wants to have them all quit (so who we naturally root against), and there is the charming, likeable free spirit Mahoney who we all want to hang out with. Quite the dichotomy.

Bottom line: If you like to laugh at silly movies which usually end well for all the characters involved, check it out. If your offended by swears, sex, and violence, maybe watch some veggie tales instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment